Monday, October 27, 2008





An Open Letter to my Grandsons and Granddaughters

First, I love you all so much! Now let me tell you something about what it is like to serve a mission: We have written a great deal about all the wonderful things that have happened to us while we are serving. In fact, so many great things have happened that I sometimes want to pinch myself to be sure I’m not dreaming. Still it is important to me that I tell you something I have learned about missionary service that I want you all to understand. I don’t want there to be any confusion. That way, when you go on your mission, you will know what to expect and you will be able to “hit the ground running” and never look back!



A mission is tough!!!

But don’t let that scare you. The work is hard and sometimes conditions are hard too. Just last night we went to visit our branch president at his home. He lives in a one room shack that is probably 10 feet wide and 20 feet long. As we walked in, we realized that this one room was his bedroom, living room, kitchen and every other room in the house. At the end of the room was his bed. He and his wife sat there while we sat on the only other chairs. There was no air conditioning, only a fan. Doors and windows were open and mosquitoes and moths moved about freely. You might think it was a terrible environment but you’d be wrong. This couple was very happy and the home was filled with the spirit. It was a wonderful visit.

Here is the main point I want to share with my grandchildren: Missionary service is very difficult but it will bring you more joy and happiness than you can imagine. I have been trying to think of a comparison that you can relate to. I know that the Hannays and the Gillelands enjoy playing football. I also know that the Rosses and the Martins enjoy playing soccer. In both sports there is a lot of sacrifice required for success. You must work hard, sweat a lot, even suffer a little pain and disappointment. In this way it is much like missionary work. You work hard, sweat hard, suffer a little pain and disappointment. But the rewards are so great… it is like the feeling you get when you score a touchdown or a goal. It is all worth it.

So don’t think you will serve a mission and coast along for two years, enjoying the scenery. You will work hard and love every minute of it. The Lord will bless you and compensate for every sacrifice you make. I can’t wait to hear my first grandchild’s mission report to confirm my feelings.

I love you all!!!!

Grandpa Ross


3 comments:

Kim Hannay said...

Dad - It's so great to hear from you on the blog. Thanks for the inspiration!

ShelleyG said...

George and Eva - thank so much for your post and testimony. We had a young man just return from his mission after being out only a few months. I was trying to explain to Gabe and Seth the very thing that you have testified of. I appreciate so much your example and willingness to serve even when things are tough. We all miss you and love you, keep up the great work! - John

Laurene Ross said...

Blake says, "This is a good letter.I love you."
Sam says,"Nice scuba shoes Grandpa" " I hope you get to be in more baptisms."
Jack says,"Thank you so much for the letter. I can't wait to go on my own mission. I hope you are doing well and not get too wet!"
WE LOVE YOU!!!!!