Thursday, August 7, 2008

More Tender Mercies

Today President Robison asked me to change the flights for two Elders coming to Trinidad for their final interview with him on the 15th. There were no flights available; they were all sold out. I decided to recheck the 15th. A flight two hours earlier showed up on the list. I immediately called the agent with whom I had booked the flights, but he had just left for the day. The lady who answered the phone offered to help. As she is searching for the valid tickets for the two elders, my screen goes to “all sold out” for all flights. She rechecked and said there are no flights on the 15th. I told her I had to get them to POS earlier than the current scheduled flight. She said what about the evening of the 14th? “I’ll take it,” I said.

The Lord knew I needed to have 2 tickets, and He provided me with 2 of them on the 14th.

Some of you are aware that our computer crashed on Sunday morning. We scoured the phone book (2007) for possible computer repairmen and called a few, but came up blank. We can’t survive without our computer at home. I often print out and email tickets in the evenings and I am preparing for another transfer on September 3. We went to the office a little early and shared our plight. A little while later in walks President Alleyne from one of the branches. He listened to our plight and packed up our computer and took it to a friend of his in Port of Spain. After many calls with the person who moonlights fixing computers, he said he could put in a new hard drive and get our programs back. He couldn’t take our documents off the old hard drive but he gave it back to us so we can deal with it at a later time. We had our computer back on Wednesday afternoon without a need to leave the office.

Luckily, we can check our email accounts at the office. My brother Alan had emailed me a couple of hours before that my mom was in the hospital with a bowel blockage. She had been admitted Monday evening by her caregiver who stayed with her through the night. He gave me the phone number to call her at the hospital, not knowing our computer had crashed with Skype on it, which is our means of making phone calls. I made a “trigger” (2 cents per minute) call from the office and spoke with her briefly. It was amazing that I was able to reach her on the first try and have Alan in the room. The Lord does look out for his missionaries. They are considering surgery, but as of today she is only being subjected to more tests. I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

Larson 7 said...

I love reading your blog. What a blessing your service is to your family. This is a good reminder of the Lords hand in all we do and not to think we are in charge. Thanks,
Nicole Larson

Nicole said...

I have enjoyed your last two posts a lot. It actually made me think about a couple that Theo and I met when we were in Aztec. It was actually the people that bought our house there. They were born agains. Every time we talked to them during the process of selling our house it seemed every tiny thing in their loves that they told us about was always credited to Jesus. They always declared the Lord's hand in their lives (I am sure you can just hear them now, 'praise Jesus'). At first I thought they sounded so silly. However, when I gave it some more thought I made a realization. Even though they may express themselves using a different vernacular, isn't is pleasing to the Lord when we recognize his hand in our lives? I don't think it would hurt any of us to acknowledge more regularly the role our Heavenly Father plays in the events in our lives. Certainly the Lord is aware of even the seemingly mundane aspects of our lives. Without a doubt, he blesses us. We only have to look with eyes that are open to the tender mercies he pours out on us. Thanks for the reminder! Love you.

Laurene Ross said...

Isn't amazing how the Lord works daily through our lifes. He knows our every need, every hair on our head is numbered. Thank you for sharing this experience. It is wonderful for our family to share in your experience in a small way. Teaching young kids to recognize the spirit is on going process and your mission is a big help.